I've mentioned before that my very favorite Mpreg fic is You First, Loser by zeitgeistic, but since I put that fic in my Humorous Fics rec list, I won't be re-reccing it here. More's the pity - if you haven't read that one, make sure you do!
The Mpreg fics on this list are a lot angstier than that fic anyway, so I guess it would have been out of place here :)
Draco seems to get pregnant much more often than Harry in fanfic (as I've also discussed before, with stats!) which you'll notice in the division of the two sets of fics below. Note: This list is far from exhaustive, but I was trying to keep it to a reasonable length and variety. I guess I will have to do another Mpreg rec list someday!
( Read more... )
( Read more... )
banner by capitu
"It would actually be fun to make rec lists of fics to go with the trope. It would take ages, though. :)So you know me. If Vaysh makes an off-hand comment, I'm tempted to go do the thing :) (see: Who Tops More?)
So I went through the original list of 28 tropes and tried to find a representative (and awesome) HD rec for each one, while also trying not to duplicate any fics. But I decided that the original list was inadequate.
- Some tropes needed to be renamed to more clearly fit HP (e.g. "High School/Uni AU" --> "8th year")
- Some tropes needed to have subcategories within the trope (e.g. "Vampires/Werewolves AU" --> "Creature!fic" --> Veela, Werewolf, Vampire, etc.)
Once I did that, however, I felt like too many good fics were not being represented, so I added a bunch of additional HP tropes (second list at the end). All in all, I've recced 66 fics from 56 authors!
And even after all of that, there are still 4 tropes from the list that I could not think of any recs for:
- Coffee House AU/Food Service AU
- Fake Out Make Out
And also let me know if you think I missed any important tropes or fics that should have been recced instead
Tropes from the Meme
( Read more... )
More Tropes that Should Have Been Listed ( Read more... )
Note that this fest also includes Snarry, Snarco, and threesome combinations, but I'm just reccing Drarry.
Sex Ed for Aurors by curiouslyfic, R, 8,700 words (fest link)
Summary: Some things, you need to learn on the job. | Harry is dosed with a lust-potion and he desperately wants Malfoy, who is trying hard to reverse the effects and stave off Harry. When it wears off, Harry still goes after Malfoy, who realizes he wanted him anyway.
So well done. Very funny and also surprisingly very moving. Harry's thoughts while under the effects of the potion are hilarious, and Draco's flustered reactions are priceless.
The Slytherin Maypole Conspiracy by treacle_tartlet, NC-17, 2,500 words
Summary: It’s Beltane at Hogwarts; the bonfires have been built, the May Queen chosen, and the Maypole erected (ahem), but there have been rumours circulating about a Slytherin Conspiracy to steal the Maypole. Can Harry prevent Draco and his cronies from ruining the Beltane celebrations?
Perfect amount of lighthearted fun and heat and boys figuring things out. I only would have wanted more :)
The Pensieve Project by curiouslyfic, PG-13, 7,300 words (fest link)
Summary: Of the 116 Hogwarts students who took part in the final battle, only five are officially invited to the Ministry's first annual memorial. For everyone else, there's the Pensieve Project.
Gorgeous story, feels like what should be the epilogue to the books. Draco/Harry is just a background pairing in this fic, which is more about the surprising friendship that developed between Draco and Neville at Hogwarts while Harry and friends were off Horcrux hunting, and the suffering of the student body under the Carrows. Draco is trying to find a way for everyone start to heal, and the insights we get into the past through the memories he collects are just stunning.
The Door to May by noeon, NC-17, 5,000 words (fest link)
Summary: An emotional intervention at the Beltane fires in Ottery St Catchpole occasions a fierce row between the partnered Aurors Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy. Unlike their usual disputes, neither of them can walk away from this one.
There is so much emotional depth at the start of this fic - I really felt for both of them and Draco's quiet dignity in particular. And then the sex is really hot, so that's just a bonus :)
Defence Mechanisms by aquila_star, NC-17, 13,000 words (fest link)
Summary: Harry and Draco are in love. But love doesn’t sail smoothly when you’re too busy putting up walls to see that it’s in your hands. A series of episodes that, hopefully, tell their story.
Harry and Draco have been sleeping with each other for months, each sure the other wants nothing more than an easy shag, and each carefully shielding their heart from pain by convincing the other they feel nothing. So of course it all blows up. This story is told in a series of non-linear vignettes which draw you in and keep you wondering how they got where they are and how they'll ever figure it all out. It's hot and intense and totally entertaining.
Links to my rec lists from all previous hds_beltane fests. Enjoy!
What follows is a list of my picks for the best Drarry fanfiction of 2011
(18 fics, sorted by date published)
Updated May 16, 2015
Note: There are so many lists of favorite Harry/Draco fanfiction, but I wanted to do something a little different. Rather than create a list based on genre or length or era or whatever, I've decided to do a series of "best-of X year" lists. This means the year the work was published not the year I read it.
I'm still trying to catch up to 2014--maybe I'll get there in a few more months!
- Best of 2015
- Best of 2014
- Best of 2013
- Best of 2012
- Best of 2011
- Best of 2010
- Best of 2009
- Best of 2007-8
- Why am I making these lists?
- The "original post" column provides links to the first place I can find evidence of the work online. However, it can be really tough to determine when and where a work was first published (see my rant here: Dates Matter). So it could be that a fic was actually published earlier somewhere else and I didn't know it. Corrections are welcome.
- I've read a lot of HD fiction, but I certainly haven't read it all, so if I've left off something you think I shouldn't have, I'm happy for you to let me know.
- I may continue to add works to this list but I will try to keep the total number to 25 or less. (On the challenge of maintaining lists)
- My goal is to add lists for other years as well, time permitting.
How my fic preferences will skew the lists:
- I tend to like fics which contain explicit sex, so the list will probably skew that way. However, I prefer that there be an actual plot, not just sex, and I read PG rated fics too--just fewer of them.
- I like almost all the standard tropes, but I don't usually go for non-magical AUs, unhappy endings, dark!fic, or threesomes
- I don't give a toss who's on top or bottom, so you'll find both here.
- I shy away from epic-length fanfiction unless I'm very confident in the author, so most of my recs will be less than 100,000 words.