While I admit that I generally prefer to read about how these characters get together in the first place (yes, I know, I am such a sap!), these fics do a wonderful job exploring what might come after. And it's often the case that in so doing we get to explore a more nuanced, mature version of love than what we see in the early stages. And that's not a bad thing :)
( Click for recs )
banner by capitu
I've mentioned before that my very favorite Mpreg fic is You First, Loser by zeitgeistic, but since I put that fic in my Humorous Fics rec list, I won't be re-reccing it here. More's the pity - if you haven't read that one, make sure you do!
The Mpreg fics on this list are a lot angstier than that fic anyway, so I guess it would have been out of place here :)
Draco seems to get pregnant much more often than Harry in fanfic (as I've also discussed before, with stats!) which you'll notice in the division of the two sets of fics below. Note: This list is far from exhaustive, but I was trying to keep it to a reasonable length and variety. I guess I will have to do another Mpreg rec list someday!
( Read more... )
( Read more... )
banner by capitu
"It would actually be fun to make rec lists of fics to go with the trope. It would take ages, though. :)So you know me. If Vaysh makes an off-hand comment, I'm tempted to go do the thing :) (see: Who Tops More?)
So I went through the original list of 28 tropes and tried to find a representative (and awesome) HD rec for each one, while also trying not to duplicate any fics. But I decided that the original list was inadequate.
- Some tropes needed to be renamed to more clearly fit HP (e.g. "High School/Uni AU" --> "8th year")
- Some tropes needed to have subcategories within the trope (e.g. "Vampires/Werewolves AU" --> "Creature!fic" --> Veela, Werewolf, Vampire, etc.)
Once I did that, however, I felt like too many good fics were not being represented, so I added a bunch of additional HP tropes (second list at the end). All in all, I've recced 66 fics from 56 authors!
And even after all of that, there are still 4 tropes from the list that I could not think of any recs for:
- Coffee House AU/Food Service AU
- Fake Out Make Out
And also let me know if you think I missed any important tropes or fics that should have been recced instead
Tropes from the Meme
( Read more... )
More Tropes that Should Have Been Listed ( Read more... )
- The author should have published their first Drarry fic before Deathly Hallows came out on July 21, 2007
I needed some cut-off date to start with, and this seemed as reasonable a way to limit the list as any
- Authors should still be currently writing Drarry
What this means for me is that an author will have published at least one new Drarry fic since May 1, 2014 (i.e. approximately in the last year)
- Authors should have written at least five Drarry fics in this time period
I included this restriction because there were a few authors in my database who happened to have written one early Drarry and another one more recently but who usually write for other fandoms or ships. It didn't feel as comparable to the other authors on this list who had been more dependably Drarry/HP focused.
So who did I come up with using these restrictions?
( List of Drarry veterans )
My database is large but not infinite. Any omissions are unintentional - if you know of an author who should be on this list who I didn't include, please let me know ASAP!
Keep in mind:
- You might be wondering where faithwood and who_la_hoop are on this list. So far as I can tell, they published their first Drarry fics after DH came out. If I'm wrong about that, I would love to know it!
- If an author has currently written a fic which is still anonymous for a fest, I can't know that, so I couldn't factor that in. I'm sorry if that means I left anyone off this list. Let me know after reveals, and I'll fix it.
- Co-authorship sometimes messes up my search results (for *reasons*) so if an author co-authored early fics I might not have realized it and may have missed them in my search. Let me know and I'll add them in!
- If an author's early fics aren't dated, then I can't know when they were published and so couldn't include them in my search. Please try to verify dates for me if you think I've missed someone. (Oh hey, another reason dates matter :)
What follows is a list of my picks for the best Drarry fanfiction of 2011
(18 fics, sorted by date published)
Updated May 16, 2015
Note: There are so many lists of favorite Harry/Draco fanfiction, but I wanted to do something a little different. Rather than create a list based on genre or length or era or whatever, I've decided to do a series of "best-of X year" lists. This means the year the work was published not the year I read it.
I'm still trying to catch up to 2014--maybe I'll get there in a few more months!
- Best of 2015
- Best of 2014
- Best of 2013
- Best of 2012
- Best of 2011
- Best of 2010
- Best of 2009
- Best of 2007-8
- Why am I making these lists?
- The "original post" column provides links to the first place I can find evidence of the work online. However, it can be really tough to determine when and where a work was first published (see my rant here: Dates Matter). So it could be that a fic was actually published earlier somewhere else and I didn't know it. Corrections are welcome.
- I've read a lot of HD fiction, but I certainly haven't read it all, so if I've left off something you think I shouldn't have, I'm happy for you to let me know.
- I may continue to add works to this list but I will try to keep the total number to 25 or less. (On the challenge of maintaining lists)
- My goal is to add lists for other years as well, time permitting.
How my fic preferences will skew the lists:
- I tend to like fics which contain explicit sex, so the list will probably skew that way. However, I prefer that there be an actual plot, not just sex, and I read PG rated fics too--just fewer of them.
- I like almost all the standard tropes, but I don't usually go for non-magical AUs, unhappy endings, dark!fic, or threesomes
- I don't give a toss who's on top or bottom, so you'll find both here.
- I shy away from epic-length fanfiction unless I'm very confident in the author, so most of my recs will be less than 100,000 words.